Friday, July 16, 2010

"stop, thief!"

Had a mini-adventure at Win-Co yesterday. Got out of the car and saw someone run past me through the parking lot. An elderly lady was following the person, saying, "Stop! Come back!" but not very loudly. Then I noticed the runner had a purse. I knew I couldn't chase the thief, but I could yell.

"Stop, thief! Stop that runner!" I yelled. "He's got a lady's purse. Stop that runner!" I actually yelled several times.


I think my shouting attracted some attention, because this big guy went tearing after the runner and caught her. (It was a gal in a baseball cap.) He held by her arm and took the purse and gave it to the elderly lady, who had come up to them. The thief looked like she was high. The catcher settled her down and had her sit on the curb while he called 9-1-1.

The elderly lady walked off, so I did too. Whew! I was so glad the purse snatcher didn't get away!

It took a while for my heart to quit pounding and my adrenaline to settle back down.

So, you never know when you'll be in the midst of a mini-adventure, even going grocery shopping. The best kind have happy endings.

7 comments:

PJ Productions said...

Yikes! I am so proud of you for saying something. Glad it all ended up okay.

LeaAnne said...

WOWSA!! It's amazing, the things that can happen at Winco!! Years of shouting at the kids payed off!!! LOL
(I can't imagine you yelling!)

Mrs. Kristina said...

What a story!! That's great that the thief was caught! :)

Lisa said...

You were definitely in the right place at the right time to help that lady. I bet that was an adrenaline rush! We never know what life is going to throw at us do we? What I want to know is where you got that picture? It is perfect!

quincy said...

Way to go!

Garcia's said...

Way to go, Kathy! I'm so impressed! You are awesome!

Kathy said...

Lisa, I just googled "purse snatcher" and checked out the images.

I think I was just in the right place at the right time, and couldn't just watch some elderly lady get ripped off!