Thursday, November 20, 2008

Red Kidney Bean Danger!



Did you know this? I didn't until I was surfing the net the other day.

Raw or undercooked red kidney beans can cause serious food poisoning, due to a natural toxin in the beans. As few as 4 or 5 beans can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, sometimes serious enough to require hospitalization. And undercooked beans (cooked to only 176 degrees F.) may be up to five times more toxic!

What to do? According to foodreference.com, you should soak the beans at least 5 hours, then discard the soaking water. In fresh water, boil rapidly at least 10 minutes (mine take 25 to cook soft).

Since many of us have children who are curious and will munch on most anything, this seems important to know!

2 comments:

Meg said...

Interesting!

LeaAnne said...

Yikes...
Good thing I buy them in the can..
I knew there was a reason that I was SO UNFRUGAL! ;)

(Thanks that was a really good tip.)